Uncertainty 

Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Pluralism(18)
A : me

A-supposing a fervent follower of a prophet, say Moses, leaves him for a trip. at that point he’s got used to all the rules brought by Moses and likes them all.

B-rather than 'likes' I would say 'accepts'

A-so although he believes in divinity of the new rules, he just tells Moses that I prefer to obey your previous orders, because in my heart I feel that they would bring me closer to god.

B-this is where he has to decide if he will go on his own inner guidance or he will follow the guidance of someone external to him. that is always the battle. It is in some ways easier to rely on an external because one does not have to think for himself. And it is also easier to fool oneself into thinking that you have the truth. so it is a two-edged sword.

A-in some of the new rules, Moses has forbidden people of committing some certain acts and in others he has ordered them to do some certain acts, but he says to Moses that I feel by doing your new laws, I would lose my relationship with God. What I like to emphasize here is that he believes that Moses is the prophet of God, and as a result he knows his laws are divine laws.

B-this is a big dilemna. The question is who shall the disciple trust? i would suggest that the disciple go on a retreat and ask god to lead him.

(posted by Farid)


Comments: Post a Comment

Home
Archive