Uncertainty 

Saturday, May 03, 2003

Where are you from?

I would like to know the meaning of this phrase. It means where you live Or it means where you were couple of minutes ago Or it is a question about your origin. When I was in Iran, when I was asked where I am from, it was difficult to answer. Since I have lived in different parts of Iran. I do not know what immigrants say if they have lived in a country for a long time. It would be more interesting to know their children's answer if they cannot speak in their parent's mother tongue. I know a guy who immigrated to Norway 17 years ago. Two years ago, he wanted to travel to Australia. He went to their embassy in Oslo and applied for visa. An Australian officer asked him " where are you from?" He said, " I am Norwegian" and showed his passport. The officer said, " I mean where you are originally from" He said "From Iran". Officer said " I am sorry we can not issue visa for Iranians". He said" But I have Norwegian nationality" the officer replied" No way!" Then he applied through their website and use his Norwegian ID number. They sent his visa within two days!
Anyway, let me know what it means. " Where are from?"


(posted by Iman)


Comments: Post a Comment

Home
Archive